I’m a total Halloween nerd who regularly plans her costume months in advance. Last weekend I was nearly worked into a snit when I had to throw together an impromptu costume. The horror, I know!
But if you have such a full life that you haven’t been able to devote that last few weeks to readying yourself for this most awesome of holidays, fear not! There’s still fun to be had at the last minute.
1. Get your friends together for a scary story party
Flashlight under the chin required. (Here’s a roundup of classic round-the-campfire stories.)
2. Visit your local haunted house
No, not the one put on by the Catholic Youth Group – the one where Old Man Jenkins lay undiscovered for a month before anyone noticed he was missing. Cwwweeepy. Minneapolis’s Soap Factory haunted basement is famous!
3. Put together a costume from what you have in your closet and recycling bin
4. Stay in and hand out candy to all the be-costumed kiddies
3 points for dressing up, 4 points for dressing up your dog, 10 points for responding to ‘Trick or Treat!’ with ‘Trick’ and then doing that ‘removing your finger‘ bit.
5. Engage in a little harmless tomfoolery
Wrap cling wrap around your friend’s car and draw on it with a sharpie. Here’s a roundup of 18 perfectly harmless pranks that won’t get you arrested.
6. Play a round of Ouija Board with your friends
Try to get ahold of James Dean or Anna Nicole.
7. Watch one or two of the scariest movies on Netflix
With friends. Who then sleep over.
What are your plans?