30 New Things: Take a Belly Dancing Class

credit

I like to think I can dance. Really, it is probably more accurate to say that I’m not afraid of trying to dance. Or perhaps that I’m not afraid of moving my body in an enthusiastic manner. In any case, I’m pretty constantly shimmying around my apartment/fake tap dancing/singing karaoke with jazz hands. So obviously one of my 30 New Things had to be dance related. And have you ever seen the music video for La Turtura? If you are not moved by the sight Shakira humping her way down a table using only her pelvis, you are dead inside, my friend.So I signed up for a community ed belly dancing class hoping to someday give Shakira a run for her money. Or at least find some new dance moves to embarrass myself with. The teacher of the class did not disappoint – all tiny and sexy and be-eyelinered. Until she opened her mouth and rocked one of the sharpest Minnesota accents this side of Fargo. But one cannot judge a dancer by her accent, eh?

We spent the majority of class flexing and releasing muscles I hadn’t known existed (like the one under your ribs?) which doesn’t sound particularly sexy but when put all together the result is hip-swivelingly good. The trick seems to be isolating the moving, swiveling bits from the rest, so you can do those impressive chest pops or pelvic figure-eights while maintaining steamy eye contact with some exotic sheik who wants to trade five camels for you.

All in all, it was wicked fun and a pretty decent workout as well. I look forward to bringing out these moves at the next house party I attend. I’ll be the girl trying to inch her way across the floor using only her pelvis.

Have you ever tried belly dancing? Would you?

A

I'd so give it a try if I could find classes. Dance classes are hard to come by here,

Kitty

Good for you! Belly dancing looks like fun, and it could come in handy if you were ever kidnapped by an evil maharajah or something.

Komal

I just tried a belly dancing class for the first time a couple of weeks ago and I loved it also! I did a lot of Indian dancing in college and although it was similar, the isolating the movements is def something I am not used to! Probably my new favorite Sunday moring activity though πŸ™‚

Tara Diane

The school I am starting in Fall has two different belly dancing classes at the gym! I am super excited to try it out, even though I am terribly uncoordinated.

Fay

I could go on for days about how much I enjoy belly dancing and how good it makes me feel! I love all the isolations and just wiggling around. Hee!

The Naked Redhead

Belly dancing is on my "30" list, too! I think it's so, so sexy, and I love how it is geared toward "flaunting whatcha got" as a woman. You can be big or little and still look super hot…or at least, that is what I hope. Otherwise, I might be mistaken for having an seizure while wearing scarves and one of those belly necklace coin thingies. (Technical term.)

crystal

I haven't tried belly dancing, though I've been meaning to. Sounds like it was a good bit of exercise! πŸ™‚

Bridey

Ha, I'm a belly dancing veteran. I took lessons for a couple of years and it was so much fun! Keep it up, it gets better the more you do!

R.

I too have tried and enjoyed it, although I didn't continue with it because I got hooked on yoga instead. It's surprising how difficult some of those hip-shaking moves can be – the teachers make it look so easy!

–xo.

molly

i too took a spontaneous belly dancing class – it was fun and it gave me the PE hours i needed to graduate…plus i've got some sweet moves while dancing to NSYNC now!