This is one of many Real Life Style Icon interviews in which we talk to funny, smart, stylish people and then distract them while we raid their closets. This is probably the first time we’ve ever had a style icon we’d also like to pet and take for a walk.
top photo: with my people David and Yena
Name: Bodhi (named after Patrick Swayze in the movie Point Break)
Age: 4 years-gold.
Location: New York City
Three reasons that you’re awesome:
1. I’m a Shiba Inu
2. I was born with houndswag
3. I wear legit menswear clothes.
What are you wearing right now, as you type this?
I’m wearing a tank top from Saturdays NYC, pale blue shorts from J.Crew and some classic white Vans. The city gets sweaty real quick so I want to be equal parts comfortable and stylish.
What is the last item of clothing you bought?
I bought a grey fedora by Stefano from Porkpie Hatters (used for the Bark Kent look in honor of Christopher Reeve on our tumblr). I knew it wouldn’t exactly be a summer purchase, but I’ve been wearing it out on cooler nights and it’s fast becoming one of my go-to’s. A quality brimmed hat is a great item to throw on when you’re overdue for a haircut.
What is the item of clothing you most covet at the moment?
Ya know, it’s easy to buy these exciting items on a whim; fresh sneakers and dope jackets, but the things that still elude me are some no-brainer basics. I still haven’t been able to find that perfect-fitting white dress shirt or that tee that looks just as good dressed down as it does dressed up. The less flashy items are the hardest to get right.
Tell us about a favorite childhood memory about your clothes.
Not a favorite memory but one I’d like to forget would be my baggy cargo pants phase. So many unnecessary pockets. I still wake up with cold sweats thinking about them.
What is your best thrifting score?
I once scored a gorgeous pair of vintage Christian Dior frames, but then later lost them at a halloween party. I regret that decision to this day.
Could you tell us your top three style tricks/DIYs?
1. We’ve been trumpeting the versatility of a denim jacket for a while now but it’s really fool-proof. It’s one of the only pieces in your wardrobe that can go over, under, and in-between everything in your closet.
2. Get yourself a good quality leather jacket. Make sure it’s fitted; you want to be able to move but you don’t want to be swimming in it. Then wear it around, beat it up, and get caught in the rain.
3. We’ve been known to turn some old ratty t-shirts inside out and cutting the collars off of them. Sounds weird on paper but it’s a great way to repurpose those tees that you never wear.
Thanks so much for sharing, Bodhi! Do you guys have any questions for this, our most fashionable canine icon?